List:       hostap
Subject:    Re: Setting up an environment for testing DPP
From:       Jouni Malinen <j () w1 ! fi>
Date:       2020-03-29 20:38:14

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:13:43PM +0200, Gilles Printemps wrote:
> As mentioned in my original email, I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 model B.
> WiFi chipset is from Broadcom.
> - Can you explain why the driver must support/be compiled with DPP?
>   I was thinking that only a rebuild of Hostapd with DPP enabled was enough...

That depends on the driver.. Some drivers want to do more than they
really should (IMHO) and prevent use of new key management mechanisms
(AKM in RSN element) if they have not been hardcoded to support such a
new parameter first. Others do not have such constraints and user space
tools like hostapd can extended functionality without requiring driver
changes.

> - Is there also some hardware requirements for the chipset? If yes,
> does it mean not all WiFi chipsets can support DPP?

Not really a hardware requirement, i.e., it should be possible to do
this with software changes in the WLAN driver and/or firmware.

> - Do you have any details if someone got already DPP working with this
> board/chipset?

No.

> - Can you provide a list of WiFi dongles which can support DPP?

I'm not sure such a list exists. I've used mostly ath9k-based devices
when testing DPP.

> Regarding the configuration, I followed the Readme which is available
> in the spa_supplicant directory.Then,
> - Does it confirm that this file is not up-to-date?
> - Can you provide a pointer to some documents for configuring in the
> right way hostapd (i.e hostapd.conf)?

I guess that configuration is fine in not-provisioned state. No
connection with DPP work, though, before the AP gets provisioned.
Though, in your example of enable both WPA-PSK and DPP, WPA-PSK would be
available in that state. It looks like README-DPP does actually include
both these example configurations.