List:       helix-protocol-dev
Subject:    [Protocol-dev] How should we handle streaming servers that don't
From:       <ext-jussi.1.puhakka () nokia ! com>
Date:       2008-10-15 19:39:35

--===============0102173812==

Hi, I would like to raise discussion about the rtsp and streaming
servers that don't support pause (and are not live content). Such event
can be possible according to rfc, however unlikely(?), but..
So we have encountered couple of these kind servers and would like to
discuss how should we handle this kind of scenario.

Here is one use case:

We could violate the rfc and sending pause every time we are pausing
such a stream, however on servers that doesn't support pause (and I
think helix wont send it to server either anymore if not supported), it
only pauses client side, while server keeps playing (and sending
packets) and sub sequential play command there causes either play
command to be in queue (depending of usage of range parameter) or
resuming to that part / buffer which is currently playing.=20

Also, I would like to ask that why there are these not live servers that
doesn't support pause, are those servers intentionally so or just mishap
in configuration, any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jussi