List:       gtkmm
Subject:    Re: gtkmm-list Digest, Vol 147, Issue 4
From:       "D. B." <db0451 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-07 12:08:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Not to stand in the way of other users who might have valid logistical
barriers to that - but fwiw, I don't and would be very enthusiastically in
favour of requiring -std=c++14

The appeal of gtkmm to me is its cutting-edge adoption of modern C++
standards and recommended techniques, especially when compared to the
competition... who are only recently trying, and even slower in
broadcasting it. In contrast, gtkmm advertises it proudly. And this
leads to it having all the power of its much less readable bedrock BUT
while producing the most readable GUI code I've seen so far.

btw, for sake of pedantry, GCC 6 defaults to -std=gnu++14 which allows
non-standard extensions - none of which I can name, because I specifically
avoid such things!

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM, <gtkmm-list-request@gnome.org> wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:19:40 +0200
> From: Murray Cumming <murrayc@murrayc.com>
> To: gtkmm-list <gtkmm-list@gnome.org>
> Subject: C++14
>
> Our current stable versions require C++11. Does anybody object to us
> requiring C++14 for the current unstable versions, which will become
> the next stable versions? GCC 6 uses C++14 by default.
>
> We don't need C++14 for anything urgently but it would be nice to have
> some little things such as decltype(auto) and std::make_unique().
>
> --
> Murray Cumming
> murrayc@murrayc.com
> www.murrayc.com

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

logistical barriers to that - but fwiw, I don&#39;t and would be very \
appeal of gtkmm to me is its cutting-edge adoption of modern C++ standards and  \
recommended techniques,  especially when compared to the competition... who are only \
recently trying, and even slower in broadcasting it. In contrast, gtkmm advertises it \
proudly. And  this leads  to it having all the power of its much less readable \
bedrock BUT while producing  the most readable GUI code I&#39;ve seen so \
-std=gnu++14 which allows non-standard extensions - none of which I can name, because \
class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM,  \
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px \
0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">

Message: 2<br>