List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Deprecations for 3.x
From:       Cody Russell <bratsche () gnome ! org>
Date:       2010-05-12 10:49:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Christian Dywan <christian@lanedo.com>wrote:

> I am curious, as GtkStatusbar is used in every second application,
> about your suggestions on how to replace it in the typical use cases.

I don't actually have thoughts on this yet.. most of the apps I can think of
that use statusbars don't really seem to be communicating useful information
in statusbars using the push/pop API.  xchat-gnome wastes precious pixels to
show network lag, although apparently you can disable this in recent
versions but it still seems completely pointless.  gedit seems to do nice
things in the statusbar, but by packing other widgets in.. not sure if
they're using the text message push/pop API.

Maybe apps should just be patched to remove useless statusbars, but I still
wouldn't mind thinking about if there could be more useful APIs for this
widget.  The message pushing/popping really doesn't seem to be very useful
IMO.