List:       gtk-devel
Subject:    Re: Deprecations for 3.x
From:       Steve_Frécinaux <nudrema () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-12 10:06:01

On 05/12/2010 09:29 AM, Cody Russell wrote:
> I think it would be kind of nice to deprecate GtkStatusbar.  It's one of
> the more useless widgets we have, imo.  It basically serves two purposes:
>
> 1/ Pushing and popping text messages.  This is a really terrible way to
> communicate information to users, imo.
> 2/ Corner resize grips.  I want to add support for this directly to
> GtkWindow anyway.

3/ Providing contextual information on what document the user is
currently working on, eventually allowing some tweaks on a per-document
basis.

gedit's use case of GtkSideBar is 2/ and 3/: it uses the statusbar to
display some properties of the current document (like language,
indentation style, etc.) and invented GtkStatusArea for pushing
important messages.

In that regard, it would probably be nice to add some API in
GtkStatusBar to cover the third use case mentionned here.