List:       gstreamer-devel
Subject:    Re: introduction and a few questions
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dr=F6ge?= <sebastian () centricular ! com>
Date:       2017-03-31 9:44:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 19:54 -0500, kendell clark wrote:
> hi all
> My name is Kendell Clark, and I've been a gnu/linux user since august of
> 2011. I am part of the vinux distribution, as a developer and also work
> in user support. I've subscribed to this list because I love the idea of
> gstreamer, of a unified multimedia framework that supports most audio
> and video formats, as well as cover art and so on, out of the box. I
> want to try to help, although I should say up front that I cannot code.
> Not yet anyway. I'm trying to learn python, and if that's successful
> I'll branch out to c or c++, not sure which yet. I'm trying to help a
> couple of people on the accessibility group's irc channel at
> irc.netwirc.tk #a11y to integrate support for most video game music
> formats into gstreamer. There's a github package which has the file
> format details at http://github.com/kode54/vgstreamer.

That links doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

>  I do not know   what the procedure is to get new formats added into gstreamer, so if I'm
> jumping to conclusions please don't hesitate to let me know.

That depends on what you mean with "added into gstreamer". There's
nothing wrong with implementing support for new formats externally,
it's not required to get anything added for them into GStreamer. You
just define your own caps, possibly a typefinder, and write the new
elements. You might have to modify existing elements if they should
support your new format (e.g. allowing a demuxer to output it).

If your question is about adding new elements to GStreamer, the
procedure for that would be to make a patch against gst-plugins-bad and
put it into Bugzilla:
  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer

Same goes for any other changes you'd like to have integrated.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd  · http://www.centricular.com