List:       grinder-development
Subject:    Re: [Grinder-development] Automating a Distributed Grinder Test
From:       Philip Aston <philipa () mail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-10 7:29:26

I'm not sure I have any answers here, just comments on the approach
taken by the standard console.

The console statistics recording is based only on the time period set by
the user. Worker processes may be started or stopped independently of
the recording, but are typically started before the recording and
stopped afterwords.

When used with the console, the worker processes are usually configured
to run "for ever" (until they are manually stopped from the console).
Agent processes should definitely run for ever - they should not need
restarting unless you need to change fundamental things like classpaths
etc. The "grinder.duration" property is most useful in simple, single
agent scenarios where the console is not being used.

A conceivably useful feature (not implemented) would be for the console
to have an option to automatically stop the workers when the statistics
recording finishes. This needs to be optional because there are valid
testing techniques which keep the load on (the worker processes running)
while taking a series of statistics recordings.

- Phil