List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    [graphviz-interest] how to save time of calculating edges.
From:       erg () research ! att ! com (Emden R !  Gansner)
Date:       2006-01-25 14:26:21

rajesh kumar wrote:

> I am using graphviz library to calculate node position, calling layout
> not only calculate the position but also calculate the corresponding
> edge position, I want to come out of the layout programm once the node
> positons are determined, I don't want programm to calculate the edge
> position untill it's neccesary.

You can avoid edge layout by setting the graph attribute splines="" but at
present, the system isn't set up at the high level for you to then later have the
edges drawn. In addition, if you modify the graph by adding or deleting nodes, or
changing a node position, there's a good change edge layout in dot won't work.

If you don't make any changes, it is possible, but you'll need to use the underlying
library routines. Take a look at dot_layout() in lib/dotgen/dotinit.c for the sequence
of calls.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to pause, and how do you determine whether to continue?

     Emden