List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    Re: New standard (Re: [gphoto-devel] Re: gPhoto2
From:       Scott Fritzinger <scottf () gphoto ! net>
Date:       2000-08-28 22:39:32

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     PTP is a prime example of what i'm talking about though. The companies
>     who use PTP don't have to worry about developing their drivers in-house.
> The question that remains open is whether they care about this advantage,
> whether it will influence their decisions.
>
> If this factor is important, then over the next few months we should
> see nearly all the camera vendors adopt PTP, and with no secret
> extensions.  If they don't do that, it will show that this advantage
> did not carry enough weight to persuade them.

One catch is that if they adopt PTP, they associate their own technology
with one from their competitor (Kodak). They will hesitate because of
that. Acknowledging that Kodak has a better technology is practical
suicide in the digicam market. There is no clear dominant digicam
manufacturer yet; they are all still (and hopefully will continue to be)
shuffling around and fighting for position.

On the other side, a technology (gPhoto2) that has no preference for any
camera manufacturers and will maintain/develop drivers on all platforms
based on an open and Free standard is very desirable.