List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: new patch at sourceforge: set view map
From:       Petr Mikulik <mikulik () monoceros ! physics ! muni ! cz>
Date:       2002-08-25 16:53:29

> I have implemented "new" splotting mode 'set view map'. It replaces 'set
> pm3d map', which is actually a macro, with some artifacts, while 'set view
> map' works also for ordinary non-pm3d plots, e.g. contour plots.
>
> The main reason for this mode is to have a map plotting mode with
> an easy and automatic positioning of labels and title. In the current
> splot implementation, it is *impossible* to place x and y labels and the
> title, as this depends strongly on terminal, its font, and size+scaling
> of the whole thing.
>
> I would very welcome if somebody continues to update this patch in the
> direction of "map" being close to "2D plot" layout by putting x,y labels and
> title as precisely as gnuplot currently does for 2D plots.

I have substantially improved the patch by automatic positioning of title,
xlabel, ylabel and cblabel with respect to the map. Really useable for
presentation quality maps. Enjoy!

> Also, the possibility of not ignoring margins would be very welcome.

Actually the whole positioning of the map + its size should be added,
because it currently uses that of 3D plot, which keeps too much space around
except for cblabel. I hope somebody can contribute.

BTW, I've also noticed that
	set view map
	set label 1 "hello" at graph 0, graph 0 c
	set label 2 "world" at graph 1, graph 1 c
	splot x
	pause -1
	plot x

puts those labels into exactly opposite corners in 'splot' than in 'plot'.
Could this be fixed? I have no idea how such change can break something
else, but this inconsitency should be fixed, I think.

---
Petr Mikulik