List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Wishlist item: a Qt terminal driver for gnuplot
From:       Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2002-08-25 15:35:50

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> >On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Ethan Merritt wrote:
> >
> >> Qt is supported under all flavors of unix, and all flavors of Windows,
> >> and MacOSX and on embedded systems like PDAs.
> >
> >Being supported is not quite the point, IMHO.  That rather is: does
> >it make sense to require people on platforms other than Unix to
> >install Qt...just to be able to run gnuplot, or make full use of it?
>
> Not everyone has X windows, either.  Could gnuplot support QT in a
> similar fashion, with a separate process?

It quite probably could.  While at it, it might be time to unify the
internal interfaces between gnuplot core and the various outboard drivers
(X11, Windows, OS/2, Next/OpenStep, (MacOS9) and the prospective Qt
driver) a bit more.  Currently, each of these has its own communication
protocol.  It should be possible to share a large part of the .trm code of
these drivers if we split up between the "language" spoken to the outboard
driver and the way this language is sent there.