List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-user] automatical white balance
From:       Timo Steuerwald <timo.steuerwald () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-11-17 11:15:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>On 11/17/05, Timo Steuerwald <timo.steuerwald@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>Hey, that's a cool feature! Thanks a lot! I didn't know that up to now,
>>but anyway: How does this automatical white balance work?
>>

>I don't know how exactly this engine ticks, but I can to to guess: it
>searches for the lightest pixel in the image and makes GIMP believe
>that it is white and then it shifts other colors appropriately. But
>that's my guess. Probably gimp-help package contains information you
>want to know.

No the official gimp documentation on the homepage doesn't contain
anything about it. You can verify it here:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch09s07s11.html
It doesn't even appear in the screenshot of the menu.
Your idea how the automatical white balance works sounds good. IMHO the
automatical white balance on a digital camera should work the same way,
shouldn't it?

>Some info on Levels dialog ("Werte" im Deutschen, soweit ich das
>verstehe) is here: http://docs.gimp.org/de/ch06s05s06.html

Yes, that's correct. Thanks!

Cheers,

Timo