List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] =?utf-8?q?Merge_=22Save_a_Copy=22_with_=22Export?=
From:       "Guillermo Espertino (Gez)" <gespertino () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-24 18:43:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

El 24/06/12 13:53, Richard Gitschlag escribió:
> Out of curiosity, I tried typing an XCF file into the Export dialog
> yesterday and got that non-negotiable warning that GIMP won't let you
> do that.  Um ... why?  I see no practical reason why the Export
> command should be prohibited from outputting an XCF file to disk when
> it already outputs every other image format GIMP has any support for.

I know it doesn't make much sense to "export to XCF", but allowing to
store XCF from the export command would probably terminate this
discussion. People who don't like the separation between save and export
could simply change the shortcut from CTRL+E to CTRL+S and have the old
behaivor back... Of course with no warnings about potentially
destructive consequences when a layered file is saved to a single-layer
format, for instance, but in that case it would be their call.

It's a really small compromise, people who choose to use the existing
workflow with save and export won't notice it.

Gez.