List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] =?windows-1256?q?Merge_=22Save_a_Copy=22_with_?=
From:       Richard Gitschlag <strata_ranger () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-24 16:53:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:06:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Ditch the "Save a Copy" command (really)
From: ccurtis0@gmail.com
To: peter@mmiworks.net
CC: strata_ranger@hotmail.com; gimp-developer-list@gnome.org

That "Save" does not lose information seems natural, but that "Export" must lose \
information seems contrived.

Chris-----------

I agree.  To the end user, whether or not Export "loses" any information is different \
with each and every image.  A single-layer image with no transparency and no metadata \
(paths, masks, EXIF, color profile, etc.) can be safely written to over a dozen \
assorted image formats with nothing of value lost.  Yes, JPG is lossy and GIF is \
inherently indexed, but the target user knows that already, they'll pick a file \
format appropriate for what they need.

Out of curiosity, I tried typing an XCF file into the Export dialog yesterday and got \
that non-negotiable warning that GIMP won't let you do that.  Um ... why?  I see no \
practical reason why the Export command should be prohibited from outputting an XCF \
file to disk when it already outputs every other image format GIMP has any support \
for.

> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:23:48 +0200
> From: tobias.oelgarte@googlemail.com
> To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Merge "Save a Copy" with "Export As" [was: Ditch the \
> "Save a Copy" command (really)]
> I personally never use "save a copy". I just use "save as" and append a
> new version number to the document. If i look at Blender then they did
> go even a step further. There are small nice buttons "+" and "-" to
> increase/decrease the version number without typing.
-----------

I am also the type to use a "versioned" file naming scheme (kinda), every time I \
would want to "Save a Copy" of my project I actually just hit "Save As" and increment \
my filename - the previous filename is never touched again and automatically becomes \
the "backup copy".  So yes, reason number four would be that my personal workflow has \
no use for "Save a Copy" either.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:06:47 -0400<br><div>Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Ditch the \
"Save a Copy" command (really)<br>From: ccurtis0@gmail.com<br>To: \
peter@mmiworks.net<br>CC: strata_ranger@hotmail.com; \
lose information seems natural, but that "Export" must lose information seems \
the end user, whether or not Export "loses" any information is different with each \
and every image.&nbsp; A single-layer image with no transparency and no metadata \
(paths, masks, EXIF, color profile, etc.) can be safely written to over a dozen \
assorted image formats with nothing <b>of value</b> lost.&nbsp; Yes, JPG is lossy and \
GIF is inherently indexed, but the target user knows that already, they'll pick a \
file format appropriate for what they need.<br><br>Out of curiosity, I tried typing \
an XCF file into the Export dialog yesterday and got that non-negotiable warning that \
GIMP won't let you do that.&nbsp; Um ... why?&nbsp; I see no practical reason why the \
Export command should be prohibited from outputting an XCF file to disk when it \
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:23:48 +0200<br>&gt; From: \
tobias.oelgarte@googlemail.com<br>  &gt; To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org<br>&gt; \
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Merge "Save a Copy" with "Export As" [was: Ditch the \
"Save a Copy" command (really)]<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I personally never use "save a \
copy". I just use "save as" and append a <br>&gt; new version number to the document. \
If i look at Blender then they did <br>&gt; go even a step further. There are small \
nice buttons "+" and "-" to <br>&gt; increase/decrease the version number without \
scheme (kinda), every time I would want to "Save a Copy" of my project I actually \
just hit "Save As" and increment my filename - the previous filename is never touched \
again and automatically becomes the "backup copy".&nbsp; So yes, reason number four \