List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg quality factor
From:       saulgoode () flashingtwelve ! brickfilms ! com
Date:       2007-07-13 18:49:49

Quoting gg@catking.net:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:21:33 +0200,
> <saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com> wrote:
>
>> No. If you want to specify something other than a user-specified
>> default for an acceptable level of quality while editing in the GIMP
>> (for example, overriding it with an image-specific value), that is
>> when you should use Save As.
>
> Sorry but this is the mistake I have already pointed out , you dont know
> the meaning of the word default.
>
> If there is an image specific value you do not need a default.
> "overriding" a default with an image-specified value is a contradiction.

There are, at times, valid reasons to ignore the quality value
associated with a particular JPEG file. Ignoring that value (and using
some other methodology) should be available as an option. The user
should be able to able to specify such an option as the "default"
behavior for a non-interactive save operation.

There are sometimes valid reasons to honor the quality value
associated with a particular JPEG file. Honoring that value (and
ignoring some other methodology) should be available as an option. The
user should be able to able to specify such an option as the "default"
behavior for a non-interactive save operation.

I fail to see how I have misused the term "default" in any of this
explanation.