List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Python 3.11 USE flags being flipped on
From:       stefan11111 <stefan11111 () shitposting ! expert>
Date:       2023-12-28 18:38:04

On 2023-12-28 15:21, Martin Vaeth wrote:
> stefan11111 <stefan11111@shitposting.expert> wrote:
>> This got me wondering though, is there no way to fix this globally
>> via make.conf instead of adding patched ebuilds to my overlay?
>
> No. Until https://bugs.gentoo.org/209653 is fixed (which did not
> happen since 16 years and presumably never will), there is no
> other way to fix dependencies than to copy the ebuild to some
> overlay.
Interesting read.
Would be nice is there was a way to set PYTHON_COMPAT through
envvars/make.conf vars like MYMESONARGS.
This seems like such an easy fix too. Just set PYTHON_COMPAT to include
python 3.12 and be done with it.
Another thing would be if adding dev-lang/python-3.11.7 to
package.provided only made portage pretend that
dev-lang/python-3.11.7 is installed, and not every version of python3.
Or if we had an easy way to patch ebuilds like we have
/etc/portage/patches...
I can't even make a dummy ebuild for python 3.11, since those ebuilds
won't use python 3.12 even
if it is installed if it isn't part of PYTHON_COMPAT(which is a
reasonable choice).

Anyway, at least I don't have many ebuilds to patch to support python
3.12.
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU_@_3.00GHz

COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math
-funswitch-loops -fuse-linker-plugin -flto -fdevirtualize-at-ltrans
-fno-plt -fno-semantic-interposition -fno-common -falign-functions=32
-fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

USE="-* git verify-sig rsync-verify man alsa X grub ssl ipv6 lto
libressl olde-gentoo asm native-symlinks threads jit jumbo-build minimal
strip system-man"

INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd /lib/systemd /usr/lib/systemd
/usr/lib/modules-load.d /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d *tmpfiles* /var/lib/dbus
/lib/udev /usr/share/icons /usr/share/applications
/usr/share/gtk-3.0/emoji /usr/lib64/palemoon/gtk2"