List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Python 3.11 USE flags being flipped on
From:       stefan11111 () shitposting ! expert
Date:       2023-12-15 9:09:21

On 2023-12-14 23:38, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 15/12/2023 00:53, stefan11111@shitposting.expert wrote:
>> I just tried to run today's emerge, when I saw that python 3.11 was
>> being pulled in and packages had this USE flag flipped on.
>
> Python 3.11 is the default right now (and has been for some months
> now.) You should follow the python upgrade procedure (there should be
> a news item for this, you can view those with "eselect news list".)
>
> After the upgrade, it might be easier to block new python versions
> until Gentoo switches the default version again later. This has been a
> mainstay in my packacke.mask for ages now:
>
>   # Prevent a shitload of different python versions from being
> installed
>   <=dev-lang/python-3.10
>   >=dev-lang/python-3.12
>
> (Obviously the versions are gonna differ over time.)
>
> I don't set PYTHON_TARGETS nor PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET. Currently, the
> defaults are:
>
>   PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11"
>   PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11"
>
> When the default Python version changes, this is usually announced
> through a portage news item and you'll get a notification about it
> when you sync.
>
> If you really want to stick to 3.10, you can try setting the above
> vars for portage. You can do this in your package.use:
>
>   */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_10
>   */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_10
>
> However, 3.11 is the current default for a reason. Maybe some packages
> really require it, and thus you will end up with both 3.10 and 3.11
> installed. If you just want a single version installed, then it's a
> good idea to not go against the current portage default.
I have done the migration to python 3.12.
The problem is that portage is pulling in python 3.11.

I have PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12" in make.conf.
And:
app-eselect/eselect-repository python_single_target_python3_12
media-video/mpv python_single_target_python3_12
dev-util/glib-utils python_single_target_python3_12

In package.use

Putting PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" in make.conf changes nothing.

The problem is that I'm on python 3.12 and portage is pulling in an
older version.