List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Python 3.11 USE flags being flipped on
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-12-14 23:38:53

On 15/12/2023 00:53, stefan11111@shitposting.expert wrote:
> I just tried to run today's emerge, when I saw that python 3.11 was
> being pulled in and packages had this USE flag flipped on.

Python 3.11 is the default right now (and has been for some months now.)
You should follow the python upgrade procedure (there should be a news
item for this, you can view those with "eselect news list".)

After the upgrade, it might be easier to block new python versions until
Gentoo switches the default version again later. This has been a
mainstay in my packacke.mask for ages now:

   # Prevent a shitload of different python versions from being installed
   <=dev-lang/python-3.10
   >=dev-lang/python-3.12

(Obviously the versions are gonna differ over time.)

I don't set PYTHON_TARGETS nor PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET. Currently, the
defaults are:

   PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11"
   PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11"

When the default Python version changes, this is usually announced
through a portage news item and you'll get a notification about it when
you sync.

If you really want to stick to 3.10, you can try setting the above vars
for portage. You can do this in your package.use:

   */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_10
   */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_10

However, 3.11 is the current default for a reason. Maybe some packages
really require it, and thus you will end up with both 3.10 and 3.11
installed. If you just want a single version installed, then it's a good
idea to not go against the current portage default.