List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: long compiles
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-12 9:26:09

On 11/09/2023 23:21, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Yup, that jibes with what I see. Oh well, just means that the need for
> overnight compiles did not go away haha

Ever since I added the following to my make.conf:

PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID} && ionice -c 3 -p

I never needed overnight compiles again. Make sure sys-process/schedtool
is installed. As long as you have plenty of RAM so the system doesn't
swap, you can use the system normally even while building monster
packages. I can even play video games without issue while portage is
emerging now.