On 11/09/2023 23:21, Alan McKinnon wrote: > Yup, that jibes with what I see. Oh well, just means that the need for > overnight compiles did not go away haha Ever since I added the following to my make.conf: PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID} && ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}\"" I never needed overnight compiles again. Make sure sys-process/schedtool is installed. As long as you have plenty of RAM so the system doesn't swap, you can use the system normally even while building monster packages. I can even play video games without issue while portage is emerging now.