List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] long compiles
From:       Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-11 21:46:42

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:23 PM Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 11 September 2023 21:21:47 BST Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:05 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>
> wrote:
> going
> bad
> took
> > >
> > > Chromium is definitely the worst, and strangely variable. The last few
> > > compiles have taken between 6 and 14 hours. Since it takes longer than
> > > everything else to build, it is usually compiling on its own, so
> parallel
> > > emerges aren't a factor.
> > >
> > > Qtwebengine is also bad, not surprising as it is a cut down Chromium.
> > > Emerging world with --exclude then timing build to coincide with sleep
> > > helps, although I haven't quite reached the age where I need 14 hours
> of
> > > sleep a day.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Neil Bothwick
> > >
> > > If it isn't broken, I can fix it.
> >
> > Yup, that jibes with what I see. Oh well, just means that the need for
> > overnight compiles did not go away haha
> >
> > Thanks to every one else that replied too - everyone said much the same
> > thing so I figured one replay to rule them all was the best way
> >

> > Alan
>
> As the old saying goes, "there ain't no substitute to cubic inches".  Moar
> cores and moar RAM is almost always the solution, but with laptops and
> older
> PCs in general overnight builds soon become inevitable.  Selectively
> reducing
> jobs and adding swap, or for packages like rust placing /var/tmp/portage
> on
> the disk becomes necessary.
>
> A solution I use for older/smaller laptops is to build binaries on a more
> powerful PC and emerge these in turn on the weaker PCs.
>
> There's also the option of using bin alternatives where available, e.g.
> google-chrome, firefox-bin, libreoffice-bin.
>
> Finally, there is a small scale project to provide systemd based binaries
> as
> an alternative to building your own:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Experimental_binary_package_host

As it turns out this laptop is the most powerful machine I have available,
my large collection of previous work laptops are getting older and older.

Although, I *could* create a ginormous build host on one of the
virtualization clusters at work hahaha :-)

That link looks interesting, I'll check it out, thanks!

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com