List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Activating BMQ CPU Scheduler
From:       Holger_Hoffstätte <holger () applied-asynchrony ! com>
Date:       2023-05-06 14:45:54

On 2023-05-06 14:07, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 03/05/2023 20:11, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
>>
>> Check first if you had CONFIG_PSI enabled. The setting will work in
>> any case, but if you already had it disabled/missing then there's
>> no need to try again.
>
> It was enabled so now I disabled it. I'm not even sure why it was
> enabled in the first place, it sounds useless and is documented as
> "Say N if not sure." Haven't had any issues to far.

Great! PSI is extremely useful, but was made primarily for servers,
though there are potentially interesting use cases for dektop systems
as well. It does come at a slight cost at runtime though, so unless you're
using it it's probably better to just disable it.

See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/accounting/psi.html and
https://facebookmicrosites.github.io/psi/docs/overview for more.

Unfortunately it seems that a recent change in the mainline kernel
introduced a bit of an incompatibility, which is why the BMQ/PDS patch
now turns it off. We're trying to get that incompatibility fixed.

Anyway: glad you're up and running now!

cheers
Holger