List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia-drivers fails to patch
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-21 19:14:19

Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Not really, AFAIR. You just enable nouveau drivers in your kernel
>>> config, uninstall the nvidia package and reboot. This assumes you
>>> haven't got any direct references to the nvisia driver in
>>> /etc/xorg.conf*.
>> I think, pretty much certain, I have it set to nvidia in xorg.conf.
>> This is a old install.  If I recall correctly, I have to change that.
>> Also, I'd need to edit make.conf I think.  I read the wiki thingy a few
>> times.  It's mostly undoing things but with the age of this install, I
>> don't think my old way is the new way.  Yep.  I'm getting better at
>> grep.  lol
>>
>> root@fireball / # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep driver
>>     Driver         "mouse"
>>     Driver         "kbd"
>>     Driver         "nvidia"
> xorg.conf is often unnecessary these days. I only have a file in
> xorg.conf.d to switch the buttons on my trackball.

I thought I read that somewhere.  This is a old install tho.  A decade
or so.  To be honest tho, I'd like to configure my 2nd screen in the
conf file.  As it is, I have it set up within KDE itself I think.  When
I kill the X part, the 2nd screen dies since KDE and friends isn't
running.  I just haven't had the nerve to do it yet.  I can't even be
sure how it is done nowadays.  I think nvidia has a command that does it.

>> root@fireball / #cat /etc/make.conf | grep video_cards
>> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia vesa"
>> root@fireball / #
>>
>> I think I'd have to change those.  It may or may not rebuild some
>> packages.  Would I need to leave out vesa or OK to leave it in?
> You'll need to replace nvidia with nouveau here, leave in vesa as a
> fallback.
>
> The worst that can happen is that X fails to start and you need to
> re-emerge the nvidia drivers, which you quickpkg'd of course.

Back when I was using Mandrake, I actually wrote a step by step guide to
installing the video drivers and did it a way that even a noobie could
follow it.  That was back in the mid 2000's tho.  It was on Linux
Questions I think.  That thing had tons of views and lots of grateful
users.  I thought I had to change that and the one in the xorg.conf file
too.  The big one when rebooting is the xorg file tho.  I just wasn't
sure if something had changed.

I looked at a Nvidia GTX 1050 video card.  May be good for starting to
accumulate parts for new rig.  Anyway, it has a weird set of outputs.  I
need two HDMI, or three, for mine.  My current monitor will take either
DB15HD or HDMI.  My TV ports are HDMI.  I kinda like everything else
about it except the outputs.  I may have to dig further.

Dale

:-)  :-)