List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia-drivers fails to patch
From:       Neil Bothwick <neil () digimed ! co ! uk>
Date:       2023-04-21 18:47:45

On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:55:24 -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> Also, I switch to the current kernel, it failed in the same way.   It
> >> isn't just the new kernel, it seems to be any of them.   I wonder how
> >> hard it is to switch to that other driver.   From the wiki page, it
> >> looks like a big deal.
> > Not really, AFAIR. You just enable nouveau drivers in your kernel
> > config, uninstall the nvidia package and reboot. This assumes you
> > haven't got any direct references to the nvisia driver in
> > /etc/xorg.conf*.

> I think, pretty much certain, I have it set to nvidia in xorg.conf.
> This is a old install.   If I recall correctly, I have to change that.
> Also, I'd need to edit make.conf I think.   I read the wiki thingy a few
> times.   It's mostly undoing things but with the age of this install, I
> don't think my old way is the new way.   Yep.   I'm getting better at
> grep.   lol
>
> root@fireball / # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep driver
>        Driver                 "mouse"
>        Driver                 "kbd"
>        Driver                 "nvidia"

xorg.conf is often unnecessary these days. I only have a file in
xorg.conf.d to switch the buttons on my trackball.

> root@fireball / #cat /etc/make.conf | grep video_cards
> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia vesa"
> root@fireball / #
>
> I think I'd have to change those.   It may or may not rebuild some
> packages.   Would I need to leave out vesa or OK to leave it in?

You'll need to replace nvidia with nouveau here, leave in vesa as a
fallback.

The worst that can happen is that X fails to start and you need to
re-emerge the nvidia drivers, which you quickpkg'd of course.

--
Neil Bothwick

This is as bad as it can get; but don't bet on it.