List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got a SSD drive to put my OS on
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-19 1:45:39

Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 10:05:27AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
>
>> Given how I plan to use this drive, that should last a long time.  I'm
>> just putting the OS stuff on the drive and I compile on a spinning rust
>> drive and use -k to install the built packages on the live system.  That
>> should help minimize the writes.
> Well, 300 TB over 5 years is 60 TB per year, or 165 GB per day. Every day.
> I’d say don’t worry. Besides: endurance tests showed that SSDs were able to
> withstand multiples of their guaranteed TBW until they actually failed (of
> course there are always exceptions to the rule).
>
>> I read about that bytes written.  With the way you explained it, it
>> confirms what I was thinking it meant.  That's a lot of data.  I
>> currently have around 100TBs of drives lurking about, either in my rig
>> or for backups.  I'd have to write three times that amount of data on
>> that little drive.  That's a LOT of data for a 500GB drive.
> If you use ext4, run `dumpe2fs -h /dev/your-root-partition | grep Lifetime`
> to see how much data has been written to that partition since you formatted
> it. Just to get an idea of what you are looking at on your setup.

I skipped the grep part and looked at the whole output.  I don't recall
ever seeing that command before so I wanted to see what it did.  Dang,
lots of info.

Filesystem created:       Sun Apr 15 03:24:56 2012
Lifetime writes:          993 GB

That's for the main / partition.  I have /usr on it's own partition tho.

Filesystem created:       Sun Apr 15 03:25:48 2012
Lifetime writes:          1063 GB

I'd think that / and /usr would be the most changed parts of the OS.
After all, /bin and /sbin are on / too as is /lib*.  If that is even
remotely correct, both would only be around 2TBs.  That dang thing may
outlive me even if I don't try to minimize writes.  ROFLMBO

Now that says a lot.  Really nice info.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)