List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Finally got a SSD drive to put my OS on
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-19 1:36:04

Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 2:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > Someone mentioned 16K block size.
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > I mentioned it but I'm NOT suggesting it.
> >
> > It would be the -b option if you were to do it for ext4.
> >
> > I'm using the default block size (4k) on all my SSDs and M.2's and
> > as I've said a couple of time, I'm going to blast past the 5 year
> > warranty time long before I write too many terabytes.
> >
> > Keep it simple.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> > One reason I ask, some info I found claimed it isn't even
> supported.  It actually spits out a error message and doesn't create
> the file system.  I wasn't sure if that info was outdated or what so I
> thought I'd ask.  I think I'll skip that part.  Just let it do its thing.
> >
> > Dale
> <SNIP>
>
> I'd start with something like
>
> mkfs.ext4 -b 16384 /dev/sdX
>
> and see where it leads. It's *possible* that the SSD might fight
> back, sending the OS a response that says it doesn't want to
> do that.
>
> It could also be a partition alignment issue, although if you
> started your partition at the default starting address I'd doubt
> that one.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to be clear that I'm not worried about
> write amplification based on my system data.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I found where it was claimed it doesn't work.  This is the link.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1007716/formatting-an-ext4-partition-with-a-16kb-block-possible

That is a few years old and things may have changed.  I also saw similar
info elsewhere.  I may try it just to see if I get the same output.  If
it works, fine.  If not, then we know.

Odd it would have the option but not allow you to use it tho.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)