List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] updating /boot directory EFI
From:       Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-17 9:55:16

Mitch,

On Sunday, 2023-04-16 07:16:09 -0400, you wrote:

> "grub-install" copies Grub from your Gentoo installation to your hard drive
> / SSD / etc. This has nothing to do with your kernel, it only involves
> Grub. Rerun this command when you emerge updates to Grub.

Is this really necessary to be done manually?  Shouldn't this be the job
of the Grub ebuild?   My gut feeling is that having to look out for Grub
updates and then to manually run "grub-install" every time is not really
Gentoo-like ...

To be honest,  I've run this  command once during  my initial Gentoo in-
stall three and a half years back, but never since.  And according to my
logs I've since then upgraded Grub ten times  and rebuilt it four times.
Should I worry?  Can this be automated?

> NOTE: if I remember correctly, there are USE flags that can be enabled to
> automatically run grub-install and grub-mkconfig when updates are installed
> for Grub and for kernels, respectively.

Checking the USE flags  for Grub and Portage  I didn't find anything for
automatically running "grub-install".  Where else to look?

Sincerely,
  Rainer