List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] updating /boot directory EFI
From:       Arsen =?utf-8?Q?Arsenovi=C4=87?= <arsen () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2023-04-16 23:29:49

Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> writes:

> On 16/04/2023 22:30, Mitch D. wrote:
>> Wol, can you elaborate on why you think Grub is deprecated on EFI systems?
>
> Because EFI is a boot manager?

That is not the case any more than the classic IBM PC boot procedure is.
There is technical capability for UEFI firmware to act in such a manner,
but, in practice, this is not at all the case.

The technical capability comes from the fact that boot entities have a
lil' bit of metadata attached to them.

> Why chain-load boot managers?

In theory, EFI implementations should provide boot
managers. Unfortunately, in practice these boot managers are often so
poor as to be useless. The worst I've personally encountered is on
Gigabyte's Hybrid EFI, which provides you with no boot options
whatsoever, beyond choosing the boot device (hard disk vs. optical disc,
for instance). I've heard of others that are just as bad. For this
reason, a good EFI boot manager—either standalone or as part of a boot
loader—is a practical necessity for multi-booting on an EFI
computer. That's where rEFInd comes into play.
  - https://rodsbooks.com/refind/

--
Arsen Arsenović