List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Network printer not being found
From:       Michael <confabulate () kintzios ! com>
Date:       2020-10-31 17:06:54

On Saturday, 31 October 2020 12:30:44 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 30 October 2020 18:23:38 GMT Michael wrote:
> > On Friday, 30 October 2020 16:49:31 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> --->8
>
> > We're confusing means of communication with the printer, or I am.  The in-
> > kernel USB Printer support is deprecated and most printer software no
> > longer support it.
>
> The menuconfig Help page gives no hint of that.
> -->8

Fair enough.

I recall there being a news item about it some years ago.  Also, the Gentoo
wiki page mentions it:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Printing#Locally_attached_printer_.28USB.29

However, if your network connection to the printer works, there's probably no
need to get the USB connection going.