List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: How hard is it to move separate /usr to / partition? - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge
From:       Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-08-16 15:09:47

On 16/08/2013 17:04, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Canek
>
> On 2013-08-16 10:48 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you have physical access to the system,
>
> I do.
>
>> and a large enough /,
>
> Well...
>
> / is 19GB, with 18GB available.
>
> /usr is 20GB, with 13GB used, with 7.9GB available.
>
> I guess I'd be ok with going from 18GB available on / to just 5GB
> available...

You should be fine with that. A reasonably sane / is quite static, and
/usr tends not to change all *that* much.

There's some precautions I always take on server:

/var, /usr/local, /opt and /tmp are separate mount points
portage moves to /var, not /usr

With those dealt with, the balance of / shouldn't grow much.

>> it's really easy. You boot from a livecd, mount /usr in another
>> directory,
>
> Not exactly sure how to do this since /user in on lvm...
>
>> copy all the files from it to /usr (be sure to preserve
>> links, permissions, attributes, etc.),
>
> So, once I have it mounted
>
> cp -rp ... ?
>
>> change /etc/fstab, and off you go.
>
> Currently:
>
>> # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
>> opts.
>> /dev/sda1               /boot           ext2
>> noauto,noatime  1 2
>> /dev/sda2               none            swap
>> sw              0 0
>> /dev/sda3               /               ext3
>> noatime         0 1
>> /dev/sda4               /backups        ext3
>> noatime         0 2
>> /dev/vg2/home           /home           reiserfs
>> noatime         0 0
>> /dev/vg2/usr            /usr            reiserfs
>> noatime         0 0
>> /dev/vg2/var            /var            reiserfs
>> noatime         0 0
>> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660
>> noauto,ro       0 0
>> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     auto
>> noauto          0 0
>>
>> # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
>> none                    /proc           proc
>> defaults        0 0
>
> So, just remove the line referencing /usr?
>
>> And really, maybe you could try an initramfs? It will be much more
>> easy than any juggle of filesystems.
>
> I always compile my kernels manually, by choice - so, no desire to use
> genkernel or dracut.
>
> How would I then create one? I am *not* a programmer, just a reasonably
> competent general sys admin.
>
> Is there a 'generic' one that I can use? Or is there a separate tool
> that will create one based on my system profile (or whatever)?

NAFC. I'm like you and don't built initramfses. The only ones I have are
ones that RH shipped :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com