List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: How hard is it to move separate /usr to / partition? - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge
From:       Tanstaafl <tanstaafl () libertytrek ! org>
Date:       2013-08-16 15:04:35

Thanks for the reply Canek

On 2013-08-16 10:48 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have physical access to the system,

I do.

> and a large enough /,

Well...

/ is 19GB, with 18GB available.

/usr is 20GB, with 13GB used, with 7.9GB available.

I guess I'd be ok with going from 18GB available on / to just 5GB
available...

> it's really easy. You boot from a livecd, mount /usr in another
> directory,

Not exactly sure how to do this since /user in on lvm...

> copy all the files from it to /usr (be sure to preserve
> links, permissions, attributes, etc.),

So, once I have it mounted

cp -rp ... ?

> change /etc/fstab, and off you go.

Currently:

> # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
> /dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
> /dev/sda2               none            swap            sw              0 0
> /dev/sda3               /               ext3            noatime         0 1
> /dev/sda4               /backups        ext3            noatime         0 2
> /dev/vg2/home           /home           reiserfs        noatime         0 0
> /dev/vg2/usr            /usr            reiserfs        noatime         0 0
> /dev/vg2/var            /var            reiserfs        noatime         0 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro       0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto          0 0
>
> # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
> none                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0

So, just remove the line referencing /usr?

> And really, maybe you could try an initramfs? It will be much more
> easy than any juggle of filesystems.

I always compile my kernels manually, by choice - so, no desire to use
genkernel or dracut.

How would I then create one? I am *not* a programmer, just a reasonably
competent general sys admin.

Is there a 'generic' one that I can use? Or is there a separate tool
that will create one based on my system profile (or whatever)?

Thanks again