List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative to etc-update that provides a diff option
From:       GBloomberg <fin.ack () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-30 5:31:20

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:17:08 -0500, William Lee <billylee@wpi.edu> wrote:

> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >The very-simple-and-possibly-useless-script writer* strikes again!  This
> >time I published a script that looks for all changed config files
> >(._cfg...) from the current directory down, and gives you a
> >(y)es/(n)o/(d)iff? prompt.
> >
> >Yes I'm aware of etc-update, but I wasn't when I wrote it (a while ago)
> >
> >If you're interested, its called config-rename, and it lives at:
> >
> >http://iaindb.customer.netspace.net.au/
> >
> >*(not: the-very-simple-and-possibly-useless-writer of scripts :)
> >

> There's also dispatch-conf.

Here's the one stop shop for a ton of Gentoo/Portage hacker goodies.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67849

Specifically a couple for/or in replacement of "etc-update".  I
believe there are 3 replacements.

I personally use "vimdiff" from a console. Works great. And the GUI
equivalent is "gvimdiff" if you like the GUI. This is what I
absolutely luv about *nix. There's so many choices and creative ways
that people in our community provide us to perform the same task. :D