List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
From:       Andy Herrman <aherrman () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2004-05-04 17:10:57

That just moves distfiles, not where packages are installed.
Ok, here's the example that caused this.  I recently installed ut2004
(yay linux binaries on-disk).  There's no ebuild for it (at least not as
of when I got it), but I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up, as there
are ones for 2003.  Anyway, using the installer on disk I tried to
install to my root partition as would normally be done, only to find
that I had no where near enough space to install it (5.x GIGs!).  So
instead I ran the installer as the user and just installed it to my home
directory.  Using the installer on disk allowed me to do this, but if I
had used an ebuild I probably wouldn't have been able to do this.  And I
can forsee this being an issue with other packages as well (though not
to this scale).  What I would like to be able to do is emerge something
as a user and have it be installed in that user's space.  No biggie though.

    -Andy