List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Power down question
From:       Keppy <keppy () ar ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-12-12 2:36:31

bash$ echo "Evan Powers"

> The kernel config that works for me is:
>
> Processor type and features
>         ->Symmetric multi-processing support = N
> General setup
>         ->Power Management support = Y
>         ->Advanced Power Management BIOS support = Y
>         ->Make CPU Idle calls when idle = Y
>
> Back when I upgraded to Gentoo 1.4, the default config included with
> gentoo-sources had SMP enabled by default. That may or may not still be true.
> If you have SMP enabled in your kernel, you'll want to disable it: if you
> read the help on "Processor type and features->Symmetric multi-processing
> support" it tells you that "the APM code will be disabled if you say Y here".

That's true but you can still power down an SMP system with APM.

root@korner:~# dmesg | grep apm
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=2.4.19-xfs2 ro root=302 apm=on,
apm=power-off
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16)
apm: disabled - APM is not SMP safe (power off active).

As shown above, APM is automagically disabled with an SMP system but the
kernel parameter:

append = "apm=on, apm=power-off"

will enable power-off which powers down your machine nicely.

> If I remember correctly, it didn't work until I checked "Make CPU Idle calls
> when idle", so I believe it's necessary.

No it isn't. Power management and APM BIOS support are all that is needed.