List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Mozilla, TrueType fonts and Xft...
From:       Jay Davis <Jay () Firebug ! Com>
Date:       2002-06-18 17:25:31

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 11:53 am, Timothy Grant wrote:

> Something happened to the font rendering in the newest Moz rendering
> engine. It is now absolutely awful. It sort of looks like it is trying
> to do AA fonts, but the results are miserable.

Woohoo!

Sorry, I shouldn't be happy you've got this problem, but I've had the same one
for months and nobody else seemed to be affected.  I solved it by ignoring
the gentoo ebuilds for mozilla and emerging the redhat binary RPMs.  I think
you also could edit your /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js and comment
out the freetype parts, which *might* make it look normal again.  The redhat
binary RPMs are experimental ones that have XFT support (with GOOD
antialiasing and truetype support) built in.  There's a message with all this
info at

http://fireserver.ath.cx/gentoo/msg25955.html

--
Jay