List:       gentoo-sparc-dev
Subject:    Sparc32 booting problems
From:       Weeve <weeve () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-12-27 1:39:16

Hi all,

As per request from Jack Morgan (jmorgan) on IRC, here's a description as
to what I've done to try and get sparc32 to boot a 2.4.20 kernel (from
kernel.org as opposed to one in portage) built with gcc 3.2.x

1) Built a normal kernel with SMP, defvs and tmpfs support.
I copied the defconfig file from /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/defconfig to
/usr/src/linux/.config and then used "make menuconfig" to add in the SMP,
devfs and tmpfs support.  When booting with this kernel, the machine locks
right after loading the kernel into memory, or returns a watchdog reset
error and dumps out to the bootprom.

2) Disabled SMP support.
I also removed SMP support from the kernel. with no luck.

3) Tried other kernels.
In the chance it might have been a problem with the 2.4.20 kernel, I also
tried 2.4.17 and 2.4.18, with no luck

4) Had someone else build me a kernel.
One temporary workaround that works is having someone with a gcc 2.95.x
based linux on sparc install build you a kernel.  Paul Kronenwetter,
thanks to Rodney Rees (manson) for the hookup, was able to build a 2.4.20
kernel with SMP, devfs and tmpfs that boots Gentoo just fine.

I have been unable to find much of anything in relation to this problem
from googling the internet.  Jovu in #gentoo-sparc had said once that it
was a known problem to Debian I think it was, but I searched their mailing
lists to no avail.

I look forward to any suggestions anyone might have as to how this could
be fixed.

TIA,
Weeve