List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    [gentoo-sparc] gcc-3.3.3-r3
From:       Rakotomandimby Mihamina <rktmb.list () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2004-04-28 4:15:21

Hi ,
As well as i wanted xfce4-4.0.5 to be installed on my system  i made
some changes into /etc/make.conf : I added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" into
it .
I'm already running xfce4-4.0.4 .
Then i made a "emerge --update --deep xfce4" ...

What was my surprise when i saw it's emerging 73 packages ... almost the
whole system ! (I guess I shouldn't have given the '--deep' option)

Now it's emerging gcc-3.3.3-r3 and i wonder if it'll install the needed
sparc patches and gcc-egcs64 (or something like that) ... I guess yes
and that's the use of the USE variable, but if you could confirm, i
could go to bed without worrying ... :-)
Thankk you .

PS : what advices would you give me if i want to upgrade only one
component in the future ? Just 'emerge --update the_component' (without
--deep) will be enough isn't it ? (eg if i want to upgrade emacs->
'emerge --update emacs' should be ok ... Anyway that's my understanding
of the Portage manual, just tell me if i understand the wrong way :-)
--
Rakotomandimby Mihamina Andrianifaharana
Tel : +33 2 38 76 43 65