List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    new baselayout trouble & potential bug with baselayout ebuild or
From:       Chris Russell <cjr () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-06-25 13:37:55

it's a bit late to go looking too hard at this right now but I'll throw
it out there before going to bed...

I updated my ultra5 yesterday and created binary packages in the process
so updating my ultra1 would be a little less painless. Now here's the
trouble - not sure if it's a ebuild bug or portage, and I doubt it's
specific to sparc but if it saves anyone grief then it's worth
mentioning.

merging baselayout from a binary package resulted in the following
output at the end.

--
cat: /var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1/temp/ROOT: No such file or
directory

cp: cannot stat
`/var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1/work/rc-scripts-1.4.3.8p1//etc/conf.d/rc': No \
                such file or directory
 * Backing up your old /etc/inittab, and replacing with new!
 * This is needed, as there were critical changes to /sbin/rc

cp: cannot stat
`/var/tmp/portage/baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1/work/rc-scripts-1.4.3.8p1//etc/inittab': No \
                such file or directory
 * Removing invalid backup copies of critical config files...

 * Please be sure to update all pending '._cfg*' files in /etc are
updated,
 * else things might break at your next reboot!  You can use
'etc-update'
 * to accomplish this:
--

so, /etc/conf.d/rc was backed up but not replaced, same for /etc/inittab
both relatively, umm, critical files??

another thing I noticed after updating all my machines was changes to
the hostname/domainname scheme

once upon a time the install guide suggested putting hostname.domainname
into /etc/hostname

now, this seems to be put the hostname only in /etc/hostname and put the
domainname in /etc/dnsdomainname

well, there's more to it than that.. you also need (after updating
baselayout) to 'rc-update add domainname boot', and create
/etc/domainname and /etc/nisdomainname before it works properly. (I've
only tested this briefly but that seems to be the case.)

anyway, food for thought, goodnight. :]
C.

--
Chris Russell
Developer, Tester, Monkey,

Public Key:  http://www.gentoo.org/~cjr/cjr-gpg-public.key
Fingerprint: A5E2 3EF7 1403 AF91 67B8  F7B0 07D1 C90A 7A59 80EE