List:       gentoo-security
Subject:    [gentoo-security] Secure deletion of files...
From:       "M. Steffan =?iso-8859-1?q?No=E9?=" <ms.noe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-04-27 13:50:38

Hello everybody
I just saw the comment about THC-SecureDelete on this website

http://www.thc.org/releases.php

> This is the best secure data deletion toolkit! If you overwrite a file for
> 10+ times, it can still be recovered. Read why and use the programs included
> (w/src!). These tools can wipe files, free disk space, swap and memory!
> Changes: Linux LKM for secure file deletion included, small bufixes.

and asked myself if this wouldn't be a good enhancement... inside of the linux
kernel...

Not only for security. I think if you delete a file with zeros you would
greatly enhance compression on dd backups. As far as i know the kernel just
removes the directory entry.

The disadvantage of such a secure deletion would be an impact in performance i
think...

What do you think about that?
Steffan Noé