List:       gentoo-security
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypted filesystem
From:       Spider <spider () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-04-26 22:30:59

begin  quote
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:01:22 -0400
Venkat Manakkal <venkat@rayservers.com> wrote:

> Yes, encrypted filesystems will fsck just like regular fs. I've lost
> power a couple of times on mine and recovered. If this is more than a
> few times it would be a good idea to move the remaining data to a
> freshly created encrypted container. Ext2 works the best, reiserfs
> works as well (with loop-aes) - both have survived power failures, I
> feel ext2 is safer.
>
> Best regards,

yep, using ext2 is actually a fairly good thing here.  also disabling
atimes are good for the effectiveness of an encrypted filesystem. (a
journal inside a filesystem works, but its not recommended)

When using reiserfs, make sure to disable tail writing as it causes a
lot of re-encryption of parts of the FS. (space saving isn't always
great)

using ext2 has another thing going for it.  It keeps the user careful.
;)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature