List:       gentoo-project
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
From:       Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-10-15 9:51:29

On 2016.10.14 16:43, NP-Hardass wrote:

[snip]

> What exactly are the requirements for quorum as necessitated by NM
> law?

www.sos.state.nm.us/uploads/files/Corporations/ch53Art8.pdf
See 58-8-16.

I have a 2008 version that says substantially the same thing but the
figure is 1/3.

The important new news in that paragraph is that the Foundation
can determine what a quorum of members is and write it into
the bylaws.  That's in the 2008 version too.

That link, as modified by case law, is the set of statutes that
the foundation needs to comply with in New Mexico.

[snip]

> Regardless of quorum requirements, if we align the Foundation and
> Staff
> memberships, and make voting compulsory (within a 2 year period), it
> might be wise to loosen the voting periods to make it easier for
> members
> to vote, i.e. if voting is open for 2 weeks currently, make it open
> for
> 4 weeks as a month should be ample time to cast a vote, whether it be
> abstention (if allowed) or a filled ballot.

The trustee electoral process is that a snapshot of the members list
is taken after new members have been admitted at the May trustees
meeting.  This is the list of potential candidates and voters.
Its called setting the recording date.

A four week nomination period follows, with a few days of a gap to
prepare the ballot before a four week voting period starts.
Voting is concluded and results published in time for for the newly
elected trustees ta take their seats at the Annual General Meeting
in August.
For the sake of completeness, when there is no contest,
candidates are elected unopposed, no vote happens and nobody
is dropped from the membership.

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford