List:       gentoo-project
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
From:       Chris Reffett <creffett () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-07-01 17:14:54

On July 1, 2014 1:02:34 PM EDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM, hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > From what I see you are on both council and comrel. I think that is a
> > conflict of interest.
> >

> The term "conflict of interest" gets thrown around rather loosely IMHO.
>
> A conflict of interest is when somebody stands to personally gain from
> a decision.  If somebody on the council or comrel banned you from an
> IRC channel, and you brought this to comrel, then it would be a
> conflict of interest if the accused party voted on their own case.
> Anything short of this really isn't a true conflict IMHO.
>
> Many courts will hear appeals with a small number of judges with the
> possibility to appeal to a larger set of judges, and the original
> judges get to vote in both cases.  That isn't a conflict of interest -
> just division of labor.
>
> When you appeal a Comrel case to the Council the purpose of the appeal
> is to decide what to do with the parties involved - it isn't a
> judgement on Comrel itself, though Comrel should be guided by the
> decision in any future actions it takes.
>
> Anybody dissatisfied with a Comrel decision can appeal to Council,
> which is a group of 7 people selected by the developer community to
> represent them.
>
> But, anyone is free to not vote for Comrel members.
>
> Rich

Moreover, I think that anyone who is both comrel/council would recuse himself from a \
vote if it the vote's outcome directly affected him. That is, if I were to (for \
example) start a comrel complaint against dilfridge, and then appealed it to council, \
I'm certain that he would abstain from voting in the matter because that is \
explicitly a conflict of interest since one of the vote options clearly benefits him. \
If he voted on a case that he handled as a member of comrel, however, that isn't a \
conflict of interest because he doesn't stand to gain from the vote (unless comrel \
starts rewarding people for getting the most "convictions," in which case I think we \
have bigger problems to deal with...)

Chris Reffett