List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
From:       William Hubbs <williamh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2017-02-01 15:03:49

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:54:41AM +0100, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
> > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
> > see.
> >
> > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
> > meson build system [3].
> >
> > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
> > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
> > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
> > outweighs that.
> >
> > What do folks think here?
>
> Meson isn't even keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86 and I
> couldn't find an indication that they care about off-mainstream
> architectures at all. Yes, it's written in Python as such is more
> portable than if it were written in C or somesuch, but for a
> build system, the arch it runs on and targets are more important
> than for most other programs.

 You are right that meson isn't keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86,
 and I will ask them about this because If they didn't want to support
 off-mainstream arches this would be a blocker. Not just for OpenRC, but
 for all consumers that convert to it.

 As I said on the upstream bug, this would be a long-term project if it
 goes through. The other blockers would be ninja and the cross build
 issue pointed out earlier at least.

 William