List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] rfc: generic "container" keyword for init scripts
From:       William Hubbs <williamh () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-11-30 23:53:55

All,

it has been proposed to me that we create a "container" keyword for
OpenRC init scripts, which would take the place of the various keywords
we have currently for separate container types, such as lxc,
systemd-nspawn, etc (basically the values RC_SYS can be set to).
We would keep all of the current keywords for backward compatibility,
but they would all become synonyms for container.
The auto detection code would be updated to test for all supported
container types at once.

The down side of this would be that we would lose the ability to pick
specific containers that a service could not run in; it would have to
run in no containers or all containers.

I don't know of specific services which can run in one container but not
in another. However, if these types of services do exist, we can't make
this change.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

William