List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Ban package.provided in next EAPI?
From:       Mike Gilbert <floppym () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2015-11-30 23:36:02

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> package.provided is listed in PMS as "strongly deprecated" and
> "optional" since a long time. Does anybody still need the file as part
> of a profile, or could we finally ban it in the next EAPI?
>
> (This is _not_ about package.provided in /etc/portage which is Portage
> only and unspecified by PMS.)

I believe that Portage does not support package.provided in
/etc/portage. It does support it in /etc/portage/profile, which
overrides profile stuff from /etc/portage/make.profile.

I would like to see portage support package.provided independent of
profiles if that's going to get banned in some future EAPI.