List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
From:       Todd Goodman <tsg () bonedaddy ! net>
Date:       2013-08-16 14:57:35

* Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> [130816 10:43]:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > The package is now masked (openrc-0.12) because quite a few people
> > lost their net configs
> >
> > So yep, ~arch being *this* broken is not so nice
>
> And hence the value of having a group of volunteer guinea pigs
> (anybody running ~arch) is demonstrated.  That said, masking big
> changes and calling for volunteers among the volunteers doesn't hurt.
>
> Seems like we need to be more careful with code that runs outside the
> sandbox.  Config protection is nice, but it is useless when code runs
> outside the sandbox.
>
> Rich

As one of those volunteer guinea pigs it all worked fine with the four
~x86 and three ~amd64 machines I've upgraded to openrc-0.12:0.

They vary in when they were installed from 2005 up to a couple months
ago and are generally updated daily.

All ~x86 are "servers" (though most have X, KDE, and Gnome installed,
they're only accessed remotely.)

Two of the ~amd64 machines are "desktops" (though they both run services
as "servers.")

If I can help narrow anything down further I'm happy to help.  Or to
test anything.

Todd