List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
From:       Carlos Silva <r3pek () r3pek ! org>
Date:       2013-04-25 22:51:01

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> <snip>

Maybe I was miss understood here. I know that there are tons of ways to
have gentoo *running* in a box without it having network connection. The
thing is that makes like 0.01% of the total installs. It's not a default
install, it isn't on any gentoo manual I know of (besides the chroot one,
but I really don't consider that an installation), and most importantly,
AFAIK, it's not something any John Doe would do. Offline installations and
"runtimes" are for geeks that use linux for a long time and know how the
system work and have the knowledge to build a stage4 or chroot and move it
to another box. It's not something technically difficult for us "geeks",
but would take ages for some non-geek to do it.
Hell, a friend of mine normally calls me when he needs to do something to
his box other that "pacman <something>" (yeah, he's on arch) and he's using
linux for some time now.

The bottom line here is, does @system have to have virtual/network-provider?
- Yes -> Make it RDEPEND;
- No -> don't care and just set some use flags.

The question above is more a political one than technical. Everyone here
knows that a system doesn't have to have networking support for it to boot,
we can't even guarantee that networking support is in the kernel (at least
I don't see it using kernel-*.eclass), but is it a safe default meaning
that 99% or more of the people will use or *need* it? <--- political

Sorry if I was too long on this :)