List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
From:       "vivo75 () gmail ! com" <vivo75 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-25 19:09:28

On 04/24/13 21:17, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:16:06 -0500
>> William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
>>> will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that
>>> includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
>> Aside all the other, please don't name it like this :). It's just feels
>> wrong to start new and supposedly beneficial project and name it 'old'
>> like something you just thrown away off the main tree.
> The name is also per robbat2's request. I asked him about other names,
> but he specifically wanted oldnet in the name.
>
> A little bit of historical background may be in order here.
>
> In a nutshell, it is called old because Roy wanted to deprecate the
> whole thing eventually and switch us over to the newnet scripts that
> OpenRC has.
> name.
>
> We thought about killing off newnet entirely for a while in OpenRC, but
> I have since found that people do use it. It is more similar to what
> happens on the *bsd side, and it works well for simple setups.
s/it works well for simple setups/it work wonderfully for very complex
setups/

It can mimic very closely the 'ip' command, making it easy to test on
commandline and just copy and paste in conf.d/net.
At the same time it benefit from a lot of howtos and tutorials written
for sys-apps/iproute2

"old"net is the best network manager out there including all major distro.