On 04/24/13 21:17, William Hubbs wrote: > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote: >> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:16:06 -0500 >> William Hubbs wrote: >> >>> This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts >>> will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that >>> includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet. >> Aside all the other, please don't name it like this :). It's just feels >> wrong to start new and supposedly beneficial project and name it 'old' >> like something you just thrown away off the main tree. > The name is also per robbat2's request. I asked him about other names, > but he specifically wanted oldnet in the name. > > A little bit of historical background may be in order here. > > In a nutshell, it is called old because Roy wanted to deprecate the > whole thing eventually and switch us over to the newnet scripts that > OpenRC has. > name. > > We thought about killing off newnet entirely for a while in OpenRC, but > I have since found that people do use it. It is more similar to what > happens on the *bsd side, and it works well for simple setups. s/it works well for simple setups/it work wonderfully for very complex setups/ It can mimic very closely the 'ip' command, making it easy to test on commandline and just copy and paste in conf.d/net. At the same time it benefit from a lot of howtos and tutorials written for sys-apps/iproute2 "old"net is the best network manager out there including all major distro. > > Also, I think it is more like what some other distros do for their > network interfaces. > > The primary disadvantages of newnet are that services can't depend on a > single network interface, and it is not possible to stop/start a single > interface. > > William >