List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Chromium bundled code
From:       Mike Gilbert <floppym () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2012-04-30 17:42:37

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2012 12:32:35 Matt Turner wrote:
>> >
>> > err, they distribute a Chromium source tarball, and their build system
>> > includes flags to use the system versions of those bundled libs if you=
 so
>> > choose. =C2=A0i think this is a perfectly fine compromise.
>>
>> It looks like chromium-20.0.1115.1.ebuild removes 45 bundled
>> libraries
>
> to be sure the system ones get used
>
>> and still has TODOs in place to use the system's ffmpeg,
>> hunspell, (Open?)SSL, SQLite, and libvpx.
>
> it's on going work :). =C2=A0ffmpeg/libvpx are a bit harder as Chromium s=
yncs faster
> than they make releases i believe.
> -mike

Right. Generally, the bundled ffmpeg does not correspond to an
official upstream release.

ffmpeg upstream is not afraid of making API changes, so it has proven
quite difficult to make chromium work with all versions on ffmpeg in
portage, plus the bundled snapshot. When we were using the system lib,
it would break nearly every time a new major version of chromium was
forked.